Just because there’s still snow on the ground doesn’t mean we can’t look ahead to summertime. We’ve been daydreaming about backyard barbecues, which led to us digging up some simple and delicious barbecue recipes for you:
Sweet Barbecued Pork Chops from Taste of Home
Prep Time: 25 minutes
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 3/4-inch thick, 8oz boneless pork loin chops
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup each: ketchup, barbecue sauce, French salad dressing, honey
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown pork chops 2-3 minutes on each side. Return all to pan.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over chops. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 4-5 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Easy BBQ Short Ribs from Food Network
Prep Time: 10 minutes to prep, 2 hours to cook
4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 3-inch long pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried ground thyme
2/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Arrange the short ribs in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and season with salt and pepper, to taste. In a small bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Pour the sauce over ribs and toss well, coating all the pieces. Cover with aluminum foil and roast until cooked through and tender, about 3 hours. Remove the foil during the last 30 minutes of cooking to brown the top. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef from Chow
Prep Time: 30 minutes to prep, 10 hours to cook
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 5-pound beef brisket
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- Place all of the barbecue sauce ingredients in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place all of the measured brisket ingredients except the brisket in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board and cut it in half widthwise. Evenly coat it with the spice rub and place the 2 brisket pieces in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about 10 hours.
- Transfer the brisket to a clean cutting board. Pour the barbecue sauce from the slow cooker into a medium heatproof bowl and set it aside.
- Remove the excess fat from the brisket and discard it. Slice the meat against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and return it to the slow cooker. (Alternatively, you can shred the meat with 2 forks.)
- Use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the barbecue sauce. Return the sauce to the slow cooker and stir gently to combine it with the meat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.